Adopt a Park, Trail or Open Space
What is Post Partners (formerly Adopt-A-Park)?
POST Partners formerly was the Adopt-A-Park / Trail / Open Space program. It has been restructured to be an all-inclusive volunteer program that caters to the needs of youth and adult organizations throughout Douglas County. Parks staff felt it was necessary to accommodate the various requests made over the years. POST Partners offers opportunities for organizations and individuals wishing to commit to different levels of participation, including:
- Two-year adoption
- One-year adoption (school classes, after-school programs, etc.)
- Scout projects (Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Eagle Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc.)
- Land stewards, for those who volunteer once or several times throughout the year
- Community projects – one-day or multi-day projects, for students looking to receive credit for community service hours needed for graduation or court-ordered.
- Donations – either monetary or tangible
Who can participate?POST Partners is available to individuals or organized groups in the Town of Castle Rock or Douglas County. Some examples include, but are not limited to, Scout groups (both boys and girls), students from Douglas County school programs (either individually or as a whole class or club), cycling clubs, hiking clubs, running clubs, civic organizations, youth groups, church groups, sports groups and businesses. Other POST Partner volunteers include:
- Individuals wishing to make a difference.
- Douglas County School District high school students wishing to complete their required community service hours for graduation.
- Individuals or groups with a limited amount of volunteers also can contract – at their expense – a licensed landscape professional to perform the work required and approved under the POST Partners program. Groups also may donate the funds, equipment,materials, etc., necessary for the Parks and Recreation Department to maintain the area.
How to adopt a park, trail or open space
- Review the POST Partner Program Packet.
- Fill out on POST Partners Group Application requesting a location to adopt.
- Once your requested location is approved by the POST Partner Volunteer Coordinator, fill out and sign the statement of commitment, which describes the responsibilities of the adopter and the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Submit outing dates to the POST volunteer coordinator so that they can drop off your supplies and thank you gifts (POST Partner water bottles, T-shirts or hats).
- Organize and publicize your first outing.
- Review the safety guidelines with your participants or the Volunteer Coordinator will do so when meeting your group for their outing.
- Have volunteers fill out a Volunteer Waiver and Indemnification Form and complete a roster of all outing attendees. An inspection checklist will also be provided to report your total volunteer hours, amount of trash collected, and any area of concern that need maintenance attention. (Waivers only need to be submitted once per calendar year, and all family members can go on the same waiver.)
- Submit all waivers and your roster / inspection checklist to the Volunteer Coordinator at the end of your outing or by the end of each month.
Site adoption program policiesView our regulations, policies and procedures before committing to a project or setting out for your first outing.
- Baldwin Park
- Bison Park
- Castle Highlands Park
- Castle North Park
- Festival Park
- Founders Park
- Glover Park and Community Garden
- Matney Disc Golf Course
- Matney Park
- Metzler Ranch Park
- Mitchell Gulch Park
- Paintbrush Park
- Philip S. Miller Park
- Plum Creek and Gilbert Park
- Rhyolite Bike Park (join the Dirt Crew)
- Rhyolite Regional Park
- Skate Park at Metzler Ranch Park
- Triangle Park
- Wrangler Park
- East Plum Creek Trail or trail segment
- Gateway Mesa Open Space
- Mitchell Creek Canyon Trail
- Philip S. Miller Park trails
- Philip Sm Miller Challenge Hill
- Quarry Mesa Open Space and Madge Trail
- Ridgeline Open Space (join the Ridgeline Wranglers)
- Rock Park - join the Keeper of the Rock